Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My Cloth Collection: One Month In

One month in.... I love cloth diapering!

Are you surprised? I was, at least a little. Here are some of my thoughts after going cloth for a month.

First, a confession: We still use disposables at night. I know, I know, I just need to find what works for us after that first pee-rash prefold incident in November, but until our disposable stash from our baby shower and diaper party are through, I'm in no hurry to find out what that is. For now, we're getting used to cloth during the day, finding out what we like, and getting into a wash routine.

Our stash

I was lucky enough to have a friend who was up for lending me a bunch of different kinds of cloth diapers, so we could find out what worked for us. I ended up purchasing the following from her for $35 (including a Christmas dipey she made for us, not pictured) to start our stash.

The top two, from left, are Kawaii newborn pocket diapers with velcro (hook and loop or aplix) instead of snaps. The top right is a Bumgenius Freetime all-in-one in Ribbit. Middle row far left is an Alva pocket diaper, middle is a Bumgenius 4.0 in Mirror, and right is a Bumgenius Elemental in white. Bottom left is a Kawaii pocket diaper (I donno what style) and bottom right is a Flip cover in Twilight, with which I use a prefold liner. 

It was a good start - about enough to get through a day (she gets put into disposables by 7:30 or 8 in case she falls asleep earlier than her regular 9 p.m. bedtime). The problem was staying up late enough to wash and stuff and pack them for the following day. Not long after deciding to go full cloth (at least during the day), I started adding to my stash. 

This was my entire stash for a few weeks, about a two day supply (not including nights) and has since grown even larger. Yes, cloth diapering is addicting!
I added four prefolds by Gerber (around $14.99 from Kmart) for the Flip cover (one is inside the cover in this photo), which you can see in the bottom row. Third row far left is a hand me down Goodmama velour diaper (not waterproof, so she only wears it around the house to air out her butt, $0), and next to it is the Christmas dipey our friend Jamie made ($4 included in the initial lot). Second and third row down the middle are Bumgenius Freetimes in Dazzle and Clementine, which I bought with a gift card through Target online ($38.50). Far right column, middle two rows are Awesome Blossom pocket diapers my mother-in-law got on Zulily and gave to us as a baby shower gift ($0). Second column from right are Kawaiis - the top two and the guitar print I bought directly from theluvyourbaby.com, where shipping was enough to double the price ($32.72 total), but the camera print I got from a lady on FB based in St. Jacob who goes by Tender Tushies Cloth Diapers. I got it for about $10 with shipping. 

I would have been happy with my two day stash shown here (yeah, right), but then I learned that my dad, who watches our little one while we are at work during the week, has trouble with the snaps. So naturally, I went in search for some preloved, aplix diapers to make things easier on him. I rounded out my stash with three preloved Nicki's Diapers all-in-two hybrids, five new, in package (NIP) OS Kawaii aplix pockets, one Jungle Roo pocket diaper with snaps (possibly a rebranded Alva?) and one Fuzzibunz Elite in black.

Since starting this post draft, I actually bought a new Bumgenius 4.0 in Marie and cut myself off to start the new year. With hubby's express permission (since we made a deal), I made an exception for a NIP Bumgenius Freetime in Harper, because her middle name is Harper. 

I am toying with the idea of posting each kind/brand of diaper at a time and reviewing them on this blog. That's the plan currently, but we'll see how much time I have to get to it. To be cont... 


No comments:

Post a Comment